Indy NABA VITA Program
The Greater Indianapolis Chapter of NABA is proud to announce its continued participation in the annual IRS Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) Program. VITA generally offers FREE tax assistance to taxpayers who cannot afford professional assistance. Participating volunteers will prepare basic federal and Indiana tax returns for low-income taxpayers who make $54,000 or less, including the elderly and people with disabilities. For the tax years ended December 31, Indy NABA will provide FREE tax assistance in February and March at the following location:
Select Saturdays in February TBD
Select Saturdays in March TBD
Holy Angels School
2822 Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. St
Indianapolis, IN 46208
By eliminating the costs of commercial tax return preparation, NABA's VITA volunteers help preserve the value of tax credits, such as the Child Tax Credit, Earned Income Tax Credit and Credit for the Elderly or the Disabled. These tax credits can place additional money back into the hands of eligible taxpayers. Another advantage to using VITA is that people can electronically file (e-File) their federal income tax return onsite at NO COST. E-file is another filing method that taxpayers can use to file their taxes quicker and, if applicable, receive their tax refunds faster than via U.S. Mail.
The following roles are needed to be filled by NABA Members interested in volunteering for the VITA Program:
Greeter- Greets taxpayers and helps them get prepared by filling out a Taxpayer In Take Sheet
Preparer- Prepare the taxpayers' tax returns using the IRS tax code and computer system
Reviewer- Perform quality reviews of tax returns to ensure accuracy and completeness
Note: Specific training is REQURIED to volunteer for the VITA Program. Please click on this link https://www.linklearncertification.com/ and follow the instructions. Contact Indy NABA VITA Program Leader Angel Ingram (firstname.lastname@example.org) for additional information.
TAXPAYERS- WHAT TO BRING?
If you are interested in having your tax returns prepared under the VITA Program, you need to bring the following information:
ITEMS YOU NEED TO BRING TO THE NABA GREATER INDIANAPOLIS VITA LOCATION:
- Proof of identification – Picture ID (Government issued Driver's License, Passport or Identification Card)
- Social Security Cards for you, your spouse and dependents or a Social Security Number verification letter issued by the Social Security Administration
- Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) assignment letter for you, your spouse and dependents
- Proof of foreign status, if applying for an ITIN
- Birth dates for you, your spouse and dependents on the tax return
- Wage and earning statements: Form W-2, W-2G, 1099-R, 1099-Misc from ALL employers
- Interest and dividend statements from banks (Forms 1099)
- All Forms 1095- Health Insurance Statements or Health Insurance Exemption Certificate, if available
- A copy of last year's federal and state returns if available
- Proof of bank account routing numbers and account numbers for Direct Deposit of your tax refund. A blank check will suffice.
- Total paid for a qualified daycare provider and the daycare provider's tax identifying number (the provider's Social Security Number or the provider's business Employer Identification Number) if appropriate
- To file taxes electronically (e-File) on a married-filing-joint tax return, both spouses must be present to sign the required forms.
It is extremely IMPORTANT that each person use the correct Social Security Number. The most accurate information is usually located on your original Social Security card. If you do not have a Social Security Number for you or a dependent, you must fill out a Form SS-5 Application for Social Security Card. For more information, please visit the nearest Social Security Administration Office prior to attending the Indy NABA VITA location. Also check out the IRS.gov site for additional items that may not be listed above (https://www.irs.gov/individuals/checklist-for-free-tax-return-preparation)