St. Louis, Missouri, Job Description
Position Title: Fiscal Control Director
Payroll/Personnel Type: 12 Month
Reports to : Chief Financial Officer
Senior financial administrator with outstanding technical, leadership and communication skills, including the fortitude to impose and maintain accounting and fiscal controls. Plans, develops, implements and administers effective procedures for the accounting and controls of the fiscal resources of the St. Louis Public Schools.
· Plans, organizes and maintains a system of general and subsidiary accounts for all financial transactions of the St. Louis Public Schools
· Provide direct supervision, training and evaluation of the staff in the financial accounting, accounts payable, internal auditing and fixed asset departments
· Oversees the preparation of the Comprehensive Annual Financial Report (CAFR)
· Oversees and prepares the schedules for the Annual Secretary of the Board Report (ASBR)
· Review all district financial reports submitted to local, state, and federal granting agencies
· Responsible for year-end closing activities
· Serve as liaison to external auditors
· Provide opportunities for professional development and cross-training for staff to enable timely and efficient support services to all district-wide operations
· Prepares monthly and periodic financial reports for presentation at Board meetings
· Ensures the maintenance of accounting records including supervising the posting and balancing of the district’s ledgers; financial statements and other related reports
· Develops accounting policies and procedures; ensures adherence to generally accepted accounting practices and principles (GAAP), local and state fiscal regulations and policies and procedures of the State Education Department
· Supervises and participates in design and installation of new and revised accounting and auditing procedures, systems, and controls and coordinates such work with Technology Division
· Participates in the annual budget development process
· Performs other related work and assigned
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities :
· Strong leadership, interpersonal and communication skills
· Strong quantitative and analytical skills
· Understanding of public-school finance and related school law
· Must have solid knowledge of generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP)
· Ability to organize and prioritize work for accurate and timely completion
· Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships
· Must be able to exercise considerable independent judgment and initiative in planning and directing a large fiscal operation
· Able to demonstrate personal integrity and financial expertise to ensure the security and integrity of the District’s financial records
· Ability to negotiate, on behalf of the District, with outside parties
· Strong skills in presenting and interacting with the media, executives, Board members and other officials
· A seasoned senior finance administrator with a minimum of 5 years of accounting in a public entity that has a minimum of $300 million operating budget
· Master’s Degree (required)
· CPA (preferred)
Physical Requirements :
· Must be physically able to operate a motor vehicle
· Must be able to exert up to 10 pounds of force occasionally, and/or a negligible amount of force constantly to lift, carry, push, and pull or otherwise move objects, including the human body
· Light work usually requires walking or standing to a significant degree
Working Conditions and Environment :
· Work is routinely performed in a typical interior/office environment
· Very limited or no exposure to physical risk
The information contained in this job description is for compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and is not an exhaustive list of the duties performed for this position. Additional duties are performed by the individuals currently holding this position and additional duties may be assigned.
SLPS believes in taking care of its employees. We offer a fully-insured health care plan along with some amazing perks! Here are some of the highlights of our benefits plan and perks, but you'll want to check out www.slps.org/careers for all of the details.
· Fully-paid health insurance for self
· $30,000 of tuition reimbursement (certificated staff)
· $40,000 group term life insurance
· Eligibility for federal loan forgiveness programs
· Pension plan
· Robust wellness programs
Please note benefit and perk eligibility may vary by employee status, employment date, and job classification.
The following questions will be part of this job application. Those marked with an asterisk will be required to submit your application.
Are you eligible to work in the United States?
Have you ever been convicted of a criminal offense other than a minor traffic violation?
If you have been convicted of a criminal offense other than a minor traffic violation, please explain why and provide dates in your explanation. Please Note: A conviction will not necessarily bar you from employment. Facts, such as date of occurrence and rehabilitation, will be considered. This information will be used only for job-related purposes and only to the extent permitted by applicable law.
Have you ever had any indicated finding of child abuse filed in your name?
If you answered yes to findings of child abuse, please explain and provide dates in your explanation.
Does your name appear on any Sex Offender Database in any state or country?
Are you currently under contract?
If you are currently under contract, with which district are you under contract?
If you are under contract, when does the contract expire?
Have you obtained tenure status in any other school district?
If you have obtained tenure, where and when did you obtain tenure?
Have you ever been denied tenure?
Have you ever had a teaching certificate or teaching license revoked or suspended?
Have you ever failed to be rehired, been asked to resign a position, resigned to avoid termination, or been terminated from employment?
If you have ever failed to be rehired, been asked to resign from a position, resigned to avoid termination, or been terminated from employment, please explain.
Applicant's Acknowledgment and Agreement: By checking the "yes" box below, candidate authorizes the school district to conduct an investigation of candidate pursuant to Missouri State Statutes to determine whether candidate has been convicted of any criminal or drug offenses as set forth in such statute, and, upon request, agrees to execute an investigation authorization form as a condition for candidate's employment. District policy also stipulates that the School District perform a check on the Statewide Sex Offender Database. Candidate may not be employed unless such investigations have been initiated. I certify that the information given by me in this application is true in all respects, and I agree that if the information given is found to be false in any way, it shall be considered sufficient cause for denial of employment or discharge. I authorize the use of any information in the application to verify my statement, and I authorize past employers, all references and any other person to answer all questions asked concerning my ability, character, reputation, and previous employment record. I release all such persons from any liability or damages on account of having furnished such information. Equal Opportunity Employer: St. Louis Public Schools is an Equal Opportunity Employer. St. Louis Public Schools ensures equal employment opportunities regardless of race, creed, gender, color, national origin, religion, age, sexual orientation or disability. St. Louis Public Schools has a policy of active recruitment of qualified minority teachers and non-certified employees. Any individual needing assistance in making application for any opening should contact the Department of Human Resources. Please note: Applicants are not obligated to disclose sealed or expunged records. By checking the “yes” box below, candidate acknowledges understanding and acceptance of the above statements.
If you are a relative of any board member, administrator, or supervisor currently serving the School District, please list their name(s), position(s), and your relationship(s).
Why are you interested in this position with St. Louis Public Schools?
The following attachments will be part of this job application. Those marked with an asterisk will be required to submit your application.
Cover Letter - "Please ensure your cover letter is tailored specifically to your interest in this role at SLPS." Full Time